In order for mold to grow, you need to have three factors in place: moisture, warmth, and oxygen. If any one of those items aren’t in place, mold growth will be inhibited. Therefore, airtight spaces aren’t going to be able to grow mold very easily. The same goes for cold or dry areas.
Mold is a particle, which means that it will be able to be wiped off of a surface. If it doesn’t come off, then it’s probably not mold. It might just be a stain or discolored area. Remember, just because a surface (such as wood) is black doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s got mold on it. On the other hand, if you see something growing on the surface and it can be wiped off, it might very well be mold.
I would definitely recommend that you hire a professional if you think you have a mold problem. There are many different types of mold, some of which can be extremely unhealthy for humans to breathe in. If you put a fan in front of the mold, wipe it off, or stir it up, it’s going to cause the spores to become airborne. Whenever you breathe them in and get them into your respiratory system, it can potentially lead to health issues.
If you’re going to try to prevent mold by keeping an area dry, don’t use a fan. If there is any mold in the area, the spores will blow around. Instead, try to use some sort of dehumidification device. They will work very effectively to keep the area dry. You should also fix leaks immediately after discovering them. Procrastinating and allowing a leak to persist, no matter how small, can provide enough moisture for mold to grow. Even if there’s just a tiny bit of seepage, and even if it isn’t coming from the plumbing system, it’s still going to facilitate mold growth. Even worse, wood will begin to rot if it stays wet for an extended period of time.
Mold is definitely not something that I would recommend homeowners deal with themselves. Hire a professional to take care of it. If you have any moisture or leaks, or if you think you might have mold, reach out to the team at Wisler Plumbing by or giving us a call at 540-483-9382.